Friday, November 9, 2007

Meat?

I'm sure many of you are wondering whether or not I was able to provide some winter meat for my child and wife while hunting last weekend. The answer is yes, I killed a beast of the forest. It was not a large beast but it will make for good eating.
The killing itself was not an experience for the weak. I patiently waited for the creature of misfortune to step into an ideal position for me to shoot, I shot and hit the spot I was aiming for...naturally, and the deer dropped immediately. The reason I say it was a killing not for the weak is because as I approached the deer it was sitting in a pose not unlike one you might see in a magazine. Its ears were perked and it's big brown eyes were staring at me as if to say "you shot me and I can't move and I'm terrified but yet feel peaceful as I lay here slowly dying, please shoot me again so I may die faster but before you do know that I am grateful to you for allowing me to sustain your family this winter and for ending my life quickly so that I may forgo a winter of starvation and/or being painfully eaten by wolves."
With a nod and a wink I acknowledged the beasts plea, my rifle spoke swiftly and mercifully, there were a few last gasps of warm breath and then the creature lay still waiting to fulfill its destiny as my dinner.
I graciously gutted the deer and dragged it from the woods, soon its meat will don my dining table, oh the wonderful cycle of nature...such a beautiful thing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me guess.... the deer had no rack? Preying on the poor female deer again?

The bucks in your woods should be quite happy that a hunter like Julie Hetland doesn't hunt there.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that deer was pondering "this" thought... "This creature has so much fur that it cannot be human. It must be the ancient and mysterious 2-legged deer that we've all heard about, but have never seen. IT'S ALIVE & walking our forests trying to disguise itself as human! And now... I'm going to the meadow in the sky...because of this underdeveloped, subnormal, furry 2-legged deer! I hope my cousins in Roseau don't meet up with this crazy."

Regardless of its last thoughts, I'm glad you can feed your family now!

il Dan said...

Luke, you know not what you speak of. In certain areas of the wilderness there are too many Does and that hinders the Bucks, thus we must kill them off.
Also, it's important to not the Julie and Jason hunt on deer farm.

Drinkup, your words are as aloe on a sunburn, keep them coming.

philthecarl said...

I miss the Black Spruce. Perhaps by some good spell the Lord will lead me there soon where upon my soul will be refreshed.

Did the new corn feeder help with the deer population?