Monday, March 31, 2008

Book Ideas

One of the perks, if you want to call it that, of substitute teaching is a movie or study hall day. I find that I'm able to get quite a bit of reading done and there are a few books that I've thoroughly enjoyed recently and I thought I'd share them with you.

Side note: You'll notice that none of them are fictional, in my old age I've found that I have no drive to read about something that didn't really happen. I know there are very well-written books that are fiction, but for me I can't justify taking the time to read a fake story when I could be reading something true and/or learning something I didn't know. I'm all about what I like to call "reality reading."

On to my suggestions and why you should read them:

"Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.

This is a quite lengthy book (I still have a few chapters to finish) but very worth the time required to read it. The author presents a view of Heaven that is totally scriptural and well researched. As one who "grew up" in the church I've found it fascinating. Heaven, at least in my church, wasn't ever talked about in detail and described based on the scriptural glimpses the Bible gives. While the author does make some speculations I don't totally see they are all in accordance with scripture or at least not going against scripture. It's been the most thought provoking book I've read in a long time. For me having a more educated understanding of Heaven or the "end goal" makes the journey here on earth that much easier and clearer. I think a proper view of the goal (and the Bible does give us a decent view, it's not like God left us to guess what our eternity will be like) can significantly impact how one lives their day to day life. The Bible tells us to "keeps our eyes on the things above," if we really do that and know what awaits us in Heaven temptations will become easier to resist and decisions will be easier to make in light of all that God has prepared and will prepare for us. The truths in this book have given me a new respect and appreciation for the speck of time that is our life on this earth compared to an eternity with Jesus, on a New Earth untouched by sin, living in a resurrected body forever in God's presence. It's truly amazing.

ps. For those of you who love John Piper, he's quoted often.


"Walk on Water: Inside an Elite Pediatric Surgical Unit" by Michael Ruhlman.

The author of this book spent a year or so following one of the best pediatric surgeons in the world. It's an intense, detailed look into the world of pediatric heart surgery. Congenital heart defects are the most common defects in the world and as recently as the 1970's mortality rates were incredibly high (%30+). The book does a good job of giving a concise history of this specialized field while at the same time sharing what everyday life is like for these Dr's and patients and patient's families. Obviously I was interested in this book because my son has a heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot and also because his surgeon (who will be doing his full repair in two weeks) happened to be doing a one year fellowship in the exact unit the author is writing about. I suggest the book for anyone for a few reasons, it's really rare to get such an inside look at one of the if not the most intense profession, it's totally engrossing and therefore a quick read, and finally because the information is not only intriguing but tangibly valuable. One of the themes of the book is parents who get thrown into this world and they just don't know their options. A lot of what the Dr. in this book does is correct other hospitals mistakes, parents need to know what questions to ask and that they do indeed have options.

A quote in the book from my sons surgeon Dr. Moga:

"You can't hide when you're a peds heart surgeon, you know who you are and where you stand. Because the stakes are so high, because there's so much at risk, there's no room for dishonesty...It's clear. It's beautiful. Elegant. Brutal. There are not many jobs when you're forced to know exactly who you are. You can't lie to yourself here, because if you lie to yourself, it becomes very obvious. Somebody dies."


"Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.

This book is now a movie and as with most books turned into movies I'd suggest reading it first and then seeing it. It's an interesting story about a kid who's obviously mixed up and confused and takes a unique road to figuring "it" out. The main character just takes off after college one year and begins tramping around the Western U.S. and eventually ends up in Alaska. Again, this a pretty quick read and the story is told very well by the author. It has a Shakesperean quality to it and I enjoyed the ruggedness of it.

That's all for now, I have a few more I'd like to mention but I want to go read and/or lie down a bit before my son gets up.